There has always been trouble within the various fandoms. For example, I remember reading letters and articles in Starburst and Starlog whenever the Doctor was replaced in Doctor Who. When Star Trek: The Next Generation was announced it generated a great deal of hate. Something that still goes on today.
First let me say that I have no problem with people disliking things. It all boils down to personal choice and that’s ok.
Unfortunately, the rise of social media has led to a different kind of hate. One that can now be directed at those who create the TV shows/films that we all enjoy.
There are 3 or 4 main antagonists, all who have YouTube channels with many thousands of followers (which in itself is a worry). I will not post their names here as I refuse to give them advertising but the also have a merry band of followers on Twitter
Over the past couple of years (though it goes back much further) I have witnessed verbal abuse, racist remarks, videos and images filled with hate on various topics including:-
- Star Trek Discovery and its place in’canon’
- Racist remarks aimed at Sonequa Martin-Green
- Homophobic comments towards Anthony Rapp and Wilson Cruz
- Body-shaming comments at Mary Wiseman
- An enormous amount of hate at the production team (writers, directors etc)
- Vile comments at Brie Larson and her role as Captain Marvel- one “youtuber” even commented that she was far prettier than Brie! (Umm, nooo! I’m so tempted topost a comparison photo but won’t stoop to their level)
- Homophobic comments at Brie and her co-star Lashana Lynch
- Avengers Endgame took a battering in many ways, including racist and sexist hate.
- The new Star Trek Picard show and its creators being slammed before its even aired.
- Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico in Star Wars) received lot of racism.
- Daisy Ridley was also targeted with body-shaming comments
- Again the cast and crew of ‘The Force Awakens’ and ‘The Last Jedi’ received a great deal of hate.
- Rian Johnson was targeted as was Mark Hamill after ‘The Last Jedi’
- The producers of Game of Thrones received serious hate due to what people believe was a terrible season 8. Again, these people don’t read articles about the upcoming season or they would have known about lots of the changes and to be honest, if you had watched the entire show then the ending was obvious!
These examples are just the tip of the iceberg. The hate is relentless and if its not one target its another. These people come across as bitter and twisted and they either don’t realise or don’t care about the damage they are doing.
The trolls also claim that anyone who is vocal and has an opposing view, must have been paid by one of the studios. They are already claiming that Disney is buying tickets to make ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ look like its doing well but then in another post they claim it’s set for the lowest opening ever for a Star Wars film!
There are some screenshots below (names redacted) of some of the milder comments. You will see in one post that William Shatner becomes involved with one particular fan who then claims he was joking and that his comment was aimed at Anthony Rapp- as if that makes it all ok!!
These people think the are clever- combined, they are the Donald Trump of the geek world. They start something and then sit back whilst their mindless followers do more damage. They also join in from time to time to stoke the fire.
The sad thing is that these people actually believe they are in the right and that anyone who does not agree isn’t a real fan. Who do they think they are?!
This has to stop- they make money from their YouTube channels and they need to be reported- shut them down and stop their income from the hate. Maybe then they will learn.
They even have the nerve to give themselves a name, crowd-fund to release a book about how everyone else is at fault and not them. Plus they also award themselves certificates etc for following one particular individual.
If you are one of the said Trolls (or one of their minions) then I think its time to grow up and be an adult. If you don’t like something that’s fine you have two choices:-
- Discuss the topic sensibly, without bile or hate of any kind and do not direct anything at those who help create whatever it is.
- Shut up!
There, it’s that simple!
Something has to be done and soon!
Please, if you come across these trolls/fake-gatekeepers/hatemongers etc.don’t interact. They thrive on it- block and move on is the best thing!